HYDERABADI CHICKEN BIRYANI
750 grams chicken, cut into 2 inch pieces on bone
1½ cups Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice, soaked
6 green cardamoms
2 black cardamoms
1 blade mace (javitri)
1 inch cinnamon
8-10 black peppercorns
1 star anise (phool chakri)
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
Salt to taste
1½ tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
1 cup yogurt
¾ cup + 6 tablespoons fried onions + for garnishing
12-16 fresh mint leaves + as required
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder + as required
3 tablespoons dried rose petals
5 tablespoons ghee + as required
Whole wheat flour (atta) dough as required
2 green chillies
1 inch ginger, cut into strips
2 tablespoons saffron milk
1. Soak Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
2. Take a piece of muslin cloth. Add 6 green cardamoms, 2 black cardamoms, mace, cinnamon, 6-8 cloves, 8-10 peppercorns, star anise and ½ teaspoon caraway seeds and tie into a potli.
3. Heat 3 cups water in a deep non-stick pan. Add potli and salt, cover and bring to a boil.
4. Put chicken pieces in a bowl. Add ginger-garlic paste, chopped green chillies, remaining caraway seeds, yogurt, ¾ cup fried onions, 12-16 mint leaves, chilli powder, turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder and 1 tablespoon dried rose petals, mix well and set aside to marinate.
5. Add drained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice to boiling water, cover and cook till the rice is ¾th done.
6. Add salt to the chicken pieces and mix well.
7. Heat 3 tablespoons ghee in another deep non-stick pan. Add chicken pieces with the marinade.
8. Roll out wheat flour dough into a cylinder and place on a lid.
9. Break green chillies and add to the chicken, mix well and cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
10. Discard potli and strain the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in a colander. Add 2 tablespoons ghee to Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice and mix well.
11. Transfer some chicken pieces into a bowl and set aside.
12. Spread a layer of strained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice on the chicken pieces in the pan. Top with 3 tablespoons fried onions, 1 tablespoon dried rose petals, half the ginger strips, some garam masala powder, some mint leaves and 1 tablespoon saffron milk.
13. Add the reserved chicken pieces on top and spread a layer of remaining strained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice. Top with 3 tablespoons fried onions, 1 tablespoon dried rose petals, remaining ginger strips, some mint leaves, some ghee, remaining saffron milk and some garam masala powder, place lid with dough on top and press. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
14. Garnish with fried onions and mint leaves and serve hot.