- 1½ cups Daawat Super Basmati Rice, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, and cut into diamonds
- 10-12 cauliflower florets
- 5-6 French beans, cut into pieces
- 4-5 baby corns, cut into diamonds
- ¼ cup green peas
- 100 grams cottage cheese (paneer), cut into small cubes
- 4 tbsps ghee + for drizzling and brushing
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 5 green cardamoms
- 1 blade mace (javitri)
- 10-12 cloves
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 green chillies
- 1½ tbsps ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ cup fresh tomato puree
- 2 tbsps fresh cream
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 4 tbsps fried onions
- Green cardamom powder for sprinkling
- 1 inch ginger, cut into strips
- 8-10 raisins
- 8-10 cashew nuts, roasted
- Screwpine essence (kewra) for drizzling
- 4 tsps saffron milk + for brushing
- A few fresh mint leaves
- Refined flour (maida) or whole wheat flour (atta) roti for covering
Step by step guide
- Step 1 Heat ghee in a deep non-stick deep pan. Add cinnamon, green cardamoms, mace, cloves, peppercorns, and bay leaf, and then sauté till fragrant.
- Step 2 Heat remaining ghee in another deep non-stick pan. Add caraway seeds and sauté for a minute.
- Step 3 Add Daawat Super Basmati Rice to the sautéed spices and mix well. Add 3 cups of hot water too.
- Step 4 Add onions to caraway seeds, mix, and sauté till onions turn translucent.
- Step 5 Add salt to the rice, cover, and cook till 3/4th done. Strain and set aside.
- Step 6 Break green chillies, add to the onions, mix, and sauté for a minute. Add ginger-garlic paste, mix well, and sauté.
- Step 7 Add turmeric powder, coriander-cumin powder, ,and chilli powder, and mix well. Add tomato puree, mix well, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Step 8 Add carrots, cauliflower, French beans, and baby corn and mix. Add salt and cream, and mix well again. Add coriander leaves, green peas, and cottage cheese cubes. Mix lightly and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Step 9 Preheat oven to 180º C.
- Step 10 Spread a layer of cooked vegetables in a handi and top up with a layer of strained Daawat Super Basmati Rice. Sprinkle 2 tbsps fried onions, cardamom powder, half the ginger strips, raisins and cashew nuts. Drizzle some screwpine essence, 2 tsps saffron milk, and some ghee, and sprinkle some mint leaves.
- Step 11 Top up with a layer of the remaining cooked vegetables and the remaining strained Daawat Super Basmati Rice. Sprinkle some cardamom powder, the remaining fried onions, the remaining ginger strips, and some mint leaves. Drizzle some screwpine essence and the remaining saffron milk.
- Step 12 Cover the handi with roti, brush the top with some ghee and saffron milk. Place the handi in the preheated oven and cook till the top turns reddish.
- Step 13 Serve hot.