- 1½ cups Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice
- 750 grams chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces on the bone
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 4 small potatoes, boiled and peeled
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps biryani masala
- 2 tsps red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsps ghee + for drizzling
- 1 medium onion
- 11 green cardamoms
- 3 black cardamoms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 6-8 cloves
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1½ tsps finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp saffron milk
- 2 tbsps browned onions
- A few drops screwpine essence (kewra)
- A few drops rose water
Step by step guide
- Step 1 Soak Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Put chicken pieces in a bowl. Add salt, biryani masala, 1 tsp chilli powder, and ginger-garlic paste. Mix well. Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, mix, and set aside to marinate.
- Step 3 Heat 2 tbsps ghee in a deep non-stick -pan.
- Step 4 Slice onion.
- Step 5 Add 6 green cardamoms, 2 black cardamoms, 1 bay leaf, and cinnamon to the pan and sauté until fragrant. Add sliced onions, mix, and sauté until lightly browned.
- Step 6 Heat 3 cups of water in another non-stick pan. Add salt, remaining black cardamom, remaining green cardamoms, remaining bay leaf, cloves, and 1 tbsp ghee. Now mix and bring to a boil.
- Step 7 Add ginger and garlic to the onions, mix, and sauté until fragrant. Add remaining turmeric powder and mix well. Add eggs and mix.
- Step 8 Halve potatoes and add, mix well, and sauté till lightly browned. Transfer the eggs and potatoes in a bowl and set aside.
- Step 9 Add coriander powder, the remaining chilli powder, and mix. Add marinated chicken pieces, mix well, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 10 Add the drained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice to the boiling water, stir lightly, cover, and cook till the rice is 3/4th done.
- Step 11 Add eggs and potatoes to the masala, then cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 12 Strain the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in a colander, and spread on the masala, eggs, and potatoes.
- Step 13 Drizzle some ghee on top, add saffron milk, browned onions, screwpine essence, and rose water, then cover and cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 14 Serve hot.