- 500 grams mutton, cut into 1-inch pieces on the bone
- 1½ cups Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice
- 5 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 3 bay leaves
- 10-12 cloves
- 7 green cardamoms
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 5 green chilies
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 1 tablespoon fennel (saunf) powder
- ½ teaspoon dried ginger powder (saunth)
- ¼ teaspoon mace (javitri) powder
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons saffron milk
- few drops of rose water
- fresh mint sprig for garnishing
Step by step guide
- Step 1 Soak the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Step 3 Take a piece of muslin cloth. add fennel seeds, and tie them into a potli.
- Step 4 Add the bay leaves, cloves, green cardamoms, cinnamon, and broken green chilies to the ghee, and sauté for a minute.
- Step 5 Add the mutton pieces and mix. Now add salt, mix, and sauté till the mutton pieces are lightly browned.
- Step 6 Add ginger-garlic paste and mix well. Then add sufficient water to it, and stir to mix. Add the potli, cover, and pressure cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 7 Discard the potli and strain the mutton pieces. Discard the bay leaves and cinnamon as well, and reserve the mutton stock.
- Step 8 Heat the remaining ghee in a deep non-stick pan. Add the caraway seeds and sauté till the seeds crackle.
- Step 9 Add the mutton pieces, the fennel powder, ginger powder, and mace powder, and mix well. Now add yogurt, mix, and bring to a boil.
- Step 10 Add 3 cups of reserved mutton stock and the drained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice. Cover it, and then bring it to a boil.
- Step 11 Add the saffron milk and rose water and cover again. Now cook on low heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Step 12 Finally, garnish with mint sprig and serve hot.