- 1-kilogram mutton, cut into 2-inch pieces on the bone
- 2 cups Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice
- 4-5 small potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt to taste
- 1½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1½ tsps garam masala powder
- ¾ cup browned onions + for garnish
- 4-5 tbsps melted ghee + for drizzling
- 1-2 tbsps dried rose petals + for sprinkling
- 1½ tbsps ginger-garlic paste
- 4-5 tbsps chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 15-20 fresh mint leaves + for garnish
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup whisked yogurt
- 8-10 black peppercorns
- 4-5 cloves
- 3 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- A large pinch of saffron, soaked in 1 tbsp warm milk
- 1-inch ginger, cut into thin strips
- 2-3 green chilies, slit
- 2 tsp screwpine water (kewra)
- 2 tsp rose water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Ready-made whole wheat dough for sealing
- Yogurt to serve
- Salad to serve
- Papads to serve
Step by step guide
- Step 1 Take mutton in a large bowl, add the potatoes, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, browned onions, 2-3 tbsps melted ghee, dried rose petals, ginger-garlic paste, 2-3 tbsps coriander leaves, and 10-15 mint leaves. Now mix until well combined, and set aside to marinate for 45-50 minutes.
- Step 2 Take the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in a bowl. Add sufficient water and wash 2-3 times.
- Step 3 Add sufficient water and soak for 20-25 minutes. Drain the water.
- Step 4 Heat remaining melted ghee in a non-stick deep pan and sauté on high heat for 2-3 minutes, or till golden brown.
- Step 5 Add the marinated mutton and sauté on high heat for 10-15 minutes while stirring in between every few minutes.
- Step 6 Add the yogurt and mix well. Continue to sauté for 4-5 minutes. Now cover and cook on medium heat, stirring continuously at regular intervals till the mutton is ¾ done.
- Step 7 Meanwhile, heat sufficient water in another deep pan. Add salt, black peppercorns, cloves, green cardamoms, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, and caraway seeds.
- Step 8 Add the soaked rice and mix. Cook till the rice is ¾ done.
- Step 9 Drain the rice and evenly spread it over the mutton mixture. Drizzle ghee-soaked saffron, and add ginger strips and green chilies. Sprinkle remaining coriander leaves, remaining mint leaves, dried rose petals, kewra¸ and rose water, and then drizzle lemon juice.
- Step 10 Press the whole wheat dough onto the edges of the pan. Place a lid over it to seal.
- Step 11 Keep a Tawa on heat. Place the pan over it and cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 12 Switch the heat off and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Step 13 Discard the whole wheat dough and transfer the biryani to a serving plate. Garnish with browned onion and fresh mint leaves. Finally, serve hot with yogurt, salad, and papads!