- 8 eggs (anda), hard-boiled and peeled
- 1½ cups Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
- 4 tbsps oil
- 1 black cardamom
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 18 cloves
- 12-16 black peppercorns
- 9 green cardamoms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, boiled and peeled
- Salt to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsps red chili powder
- 1½ tbsps ginger-garlic paste
- 3 green chilies
- ¾ cup fresh tomato puree
- 2 tbsps coriander powder
- 1 tbsp + a pinch of garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 3 tbsps of fried onions + a few fresh mint leaves for garnishing
- 1-inch ginger, cut into strips
- Fresh mint sprig for garnishing
Step by step guide
- Step 1 Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a deep non-stick pan.
- Step 2 Heat 3 cups of water in another deep non-stick pan. Add 1 black cardamom, ½ inch cinnamon, 1 bay leaf, 8 of the cloves, black peppercorns, and 4 green cardamoms to the water. Bring the whole thing to a boil.
- Step 3 Add remaining cloves and remaining green cardamoms to the oil and sauté till fragrant.
- Step 4 Add the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice to the boiling water and let it cook.
- Step 5 Add onions to the oil and sauté until translucent.
- Step 6 Cut the potatoes into cubes.
- Step 7 Add salt, 1 tbsp oil, and lemon juice to the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice and cook till ¾th done.
- Step 8 Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and 1½ tsps chili powder to the onions and mix well. Now add eggs and potato cubes to it, and fry for a minute. Transfer the eggs and potatoes to a bowl and set aside.
- Step 9 Add the ginger-garlic paste and mix. Then add green chilies, tomato puree, and salt. Mix it all well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 10 Strain the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in a colander and set it aside.
- Step 11 Add coriander powder, remaining chili powder, 1 tbsp garam masala powder, and the remaining turmeric powder to the tomato puree mixture. Mix it well and cook till the oil separates.
- Step 12 Add the fried eggs (anda), potato cubes, coriander leaves, and yogurt, and spread a layer of strained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice on top.
- Step 13 Top it with fried onions, some mint leaves, a pinch of garam masala powder, and ginger strips. Add the remaining oil, then cover and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Step 14 Finally, garnish with fried onions and mint sprig, and serve hot.