- 750 grams chicken, cut into 2 inch pieces on the bone
- 1½ cups of Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice, soaked
- 6 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 blade mace (javitri)
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 6-8 cloves
- 8-10 black peppercorns
- 1 star anise (phool chakri)
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- Salt to taste
- 1½ tbsps ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 cup yogurt
- ¾ cup + 6 tb fried onions + for garnishing
- 12-16 fresh mint leaves + as required
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder + as required
- 3 tbsps dried rose petals
- 5 tbsps ghee + as required
- Whole wheat flour (atta) dough as required
- 2 green chillies
- 1 inch ginger, cut into strips
- 2 tbsps saffron milk
Step by step guide
- Step 1 Soak your Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Take a piece of muslin cloth. Add 6 green cardamoms, 2 black cardamoms, mace, cinnamon, 6-8 cloves, 8-10 peppercorns, staranise, and ½ tsp caraway seeds, and tie it all into a potli.
- Step 3 Heat 3 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan. Add potli and salt, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Step 4 Put chicken pieces in a bowl. Add ginger-garlic paste, chopped green chillies, remaining caraway seeds, yogurt, ¾ cup fried onions, 12-16 mint leaves, chili powder, turmeric powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder, and 1 tbsp dried rose petals. Mix well and then set aside to marinate.
- Step 5 Add drained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice to boiling water, cover and cook till the rice is ¾th done.
- Step 6 Add salt to the chicken pieces and mix well.
- Step 7 Heat 3 tbsps of ghee in another deep non-stick pan. Add chicken pieces with the marinade.
- Step 8 Roll out wheat flour dough into a cylinder and place on a lid.
- Step 9 Break green chillies and add to the chicken, mix well and cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 10 Discard the potli and strain the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in a colander. Add 2 tbsps of ghee to the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice and mix well.
- Step 11 Transfer some chicken pieces into a bowl and set aside.
- Step 12 Spread a layer of strained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice on the chicken pieces in the pan. Top with 3 tbsps fried onions, 1 tbsp dried rose petals, half the ginger strips, some garam masala powder, some mint leaves, and 1 tbsp saffron milk.
- Step 13 Add the reserved chicken pieces on top and spread a layer of remaining strained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice. Top with 3 tbsps fried onions, 1 tbsp dried rose petals, remaining ginger strips, some mint leaves, some ghee, remaining saffron milk, and some garam masala powder. Place the lid with dough on top and press. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Step 14 Garnish with fried onions and mint leaves, and serve hot.