- ½ cup Daawat Quick-Cooking Brown Basmati rice
- ½ cup soaked split skinless green gram
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp garlic
- ½ tbsp ginger
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 2 green chilis
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp coriander
- 1 coriander leaf
Step by step guide
- Step 1 Take ½ cup of the Daawat Quick-Cooking Brown Rice and add water to it. Rinse it 2-3 times and then soak it in fresh water for 25-30 minutes.
- Step 2 Now add the rice to a cooker and add ½ cup soaked, split, skinless green gram, salt to taste, ½ tsp turmeric powder, and 4 ½ cups water. Cook for 5-6 whistles.
- Step 3 Open the cooker once the pressure settles completely.
- Step 4 Take a pan and add 2 tbsps of ghee, 1 ½ tsp of cumin seeds, 2 tbsps of garlic, ½ tbsp of ginger, ¼ tsp of asafoetida, and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Step 5 Then add 2 cut-up green chilis to this mix, and stir.
- Step 6 Now add freshly cut-up onions, and sauté till translucent.
- Step 7 Add tomatoes and salt to taste, and cook until the mix is pulpy.
- Step 8 Add 1 tbsp red chili powder, and stir again.
- Step 9 Now add the cooked rice mixture to this mix, and stir well.
- Step 10 Add ¾ cup of water and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Step 11 Top it off with 2 tbsps of coriander, and stir.
- Step 12 Your Brown Rice Khichdi is ready to serve. Put it in a bowl or a plate and layer with some ghee on top for that authentic taste. Add a coriander leaf to make it look attractive and you’re good to go!