- 750 grams mutton, cut into 1 inch pieces on bone
- 1½ cups Daawat Dubar Basmati Rice
- Salt to taste
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 2 star anise
- 6 bay leaves
- 8 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 26-30 black peppercorns
- 1½ teaspoons caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons fennel seeds (saunf)
- 6-8 cloves
- 1 blade mace (javitri)
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic-green chilli-poppy seeds paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder + as required
- 8-10 cashewnuts, halved and roasted
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- Whole wheat flour (atta) dough as required
- 6 tablespoons fried onions + for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon saffron milk
- Ginger strips for garnishing
- Fresh mint sprig for garnishing
Step by step guide
- Step 1 Marinate the mutton pieces with some salt.
- Step 2 Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a deep non-stick pan. Add 1 star anise, 5 bay leaves, 4 green cardamoms, black cardamom, cinnamon, 16-18 peppercorns, 1 tsp caraway seeds, and chopped onions. Now mix and sauté till onions turn translucent.
- Step 3 Grind together the remaining star anise, fennel seeds, remaining bay leaf, remaining green cardamoms, cloves, remaining peppercorns, mace, and the remaining caraway seeds to a fine powder.
- Step 4 Add mutton pieces and broken green chillies to the pan, mix well, then cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 5 Add ginger-garlic-green chili-poppy seeds paste, turmeric powder, salt and yogurt. Mix well, then cover and cook till the mixture dries.
- Step 6 Heat the remaining oil and ghee in another deep non-stick pan. Add sliced onions and sauté until translucent.
- Step 7 Add Daawat Dubar Basmati Rice and 2½ tbsps ground powder, and mix well. Add 2 cups of water, coconut milk, and salt to taste, and again mix well. Add some ladles of stock from the mutton and stir lightly.
- Step 8 Add garam masala powder to the mutton, mix well, cover, and continue to cook.
- Step 9 Add cashew nuts, raisins, and lemon juice to the rice. Cover and cook till the rice is 3/4th done.
- Step 10 Roll out wheat flour dough into a cylinder and place on a lid.
- Step 11 Spread a layer of rice on the mutton pieces, then top with 3 tbsps fried onions and some garam masala powder. Spread another layer of the remaining rice on top, and add saffron milk and the remaining fried onions. Place a lid with dough on top and press. Cook on low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Step 12 Garnish with fried onions, ginger strips,, and mint sprig and serve hot.