- ¼ cup corn kernels
- 2 medium carrots, cut into diamonds
- 16-18 cauliflower florets
- 5-6 french beans, cut into pieces
- ½ cup green peas
- 1½ cups Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice
- 4 tbsps oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 16-20 cloves
- 10 green cardamoms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ inch stick cinnamon
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 blade mace (javitri)
- 1 star anise (phool chakri)
- Salt to taste
- 3 green chillies
- 2 tbsps ginger-garlic paste
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1½ tsps cumin (jeera) powder
- 1½ tsps red chili powder
- 2-3 tbsps yogurt
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala powder + as required
- 6 tbsps fried onions
- Fresh mint leaves as required
- 2 tbsps saffron milk
- A few drops screwpine essence (kewra)
- A few drops rose water
- Ginger strips for garnishing
- Micro-greens for garnishing
Step by step guide
- Step 1 Soak the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Heat 3 tbsps oil in a deep non-stick pan. Add caraway seeds, 8-10 cloves, 4 green cardamoms, 2 bay leaves, 1 inch cinnamon, and onions, then mix and sauté till onions are lightly browned.
- Step 3 Heat 3 cups of water in another deep non-stick pan. Add remaining green cardamoms, black cardamom, mace, remaining bay leaves, remaining cinnamon, remaining cloves, star anise, salt, remaining oil, and the drained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice and cook till the rice is 3/4th done
- Step 4 Break green chillies, add to the onions along with ginger-garlic paste, and mix well and sauté for a minute.
- Step 5 Now add tomatoes and mix. Then add turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and chili powder. Mix well and cook till tomatoes turn soft and pulpy.
- Step 6 Add corn kernels and carrots, and mix. Add cauliflower, french beans, and salt, and again mix well.
- Step 7 Add yogurt and mix. Add green peas, mix well, cover, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Step 8 Strain the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in a colander, add ghee to the rice, and mix well.
- Step 9 Transfer half the cooked vegetables into a bowl and set aside.
- Step 10 Add coriander leaves to the vegetables in the pan and mix well. Add garam masala powder and spread a layer of cooked rice on top. Add 3 tbsps fried onions, some mint leaves, some garam masala powder, and 1 tbsp saffron milk.
- Step 11 Spread a layer of reserved cooked vegetables and top up with the remaining cooked rice. Add remaining fried onions, some mint leaves, some garam masala powder, the remaining saffron milk, screwpine essence, and rose water. Cover and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 12 Garnish with ginger strips and micro-greens, and serve hot.