- 1½ cups of Daawat Biryani Basmati rice, soaked
- 6 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 blade mace (Javitri)
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 6-8 cloves
- 8-10 black peppercorns
- 1 star anise (Phool chakri)
- 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 cup yogurt
- ¾ cup + 6 tablespoons of fried onion, for garnishing
- 12-16 fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons of dried rose petals
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- Whole wheat flour, dough as required
- 2 green chilies
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 tablespoons of saffron milk
Step by step guide
- Step 1 Soak Daawat Biryani Rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Take a piece of muslin cloth. Add 6 green cardamoms, 2 black cardamoms, mace, cinnamon, 6-8 cloves, 8-10 peppercorns, star anise, and 1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon of caraway seeds. Now tie the cloth into a potli.
- Step 3 Heat 3 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan. Add the potli and salt as required. Now cover the pan with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Step 4 Put the chicken pieces in a bowl. Add ginger-garlic paste, chopped green chilies, the remaining caraway seeds, yogurt, ¾ fried onions, 12-16 mint leaves, chili powder, turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder, and 1 tablespoon of dried rose petals. Mix all of them well and set them aside to marinate.
- Step 5 After draining the water it was soaking in, add the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice to boiling water. Cover and cook until 3/4th done.
- Step 6 Add salt to the chicken pieces and mix them well.
- Step 7 Heat 3 tablespoons of ghee in another deep non-stick pan. Add chicken pieces with the marinade.
- Step 8 Roll the wheat flour dough into a cylindrical shape and place it on the lid.
- Step 9 Chop green chilies and add them to the chicken. Now mix it well and cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 10 Discard the potli, and strain the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in a colander. Now add 2 tablespoons of ghee to the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice and mix well.
- Step 11 Transfer some of the chicken pieces into a bowl and set them aside.
- Step 12 Spread a layer of strained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice on the chicken pieces that were in the pan. Top it with 3 tablespoons of fried onions, 1 tablespoon of dried rose petals, and half chopped ginger. Now sprinkle some garam masala powder, add some mint leaves, and finally 1 tablespoon of saffron milk.
- Step 13 Add the chicken pieces previously set aside on top, and once again spread a layer of strained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice on top. Top it up with 3 tablespoons of fried onion, 1 tablespoon of dried rose petals, the remaining ginger strips, some mint leaves, 1 tablespoon of ghee, the remaining saffron milk, and again some garam masala powder.
- Step 14 Now place the lid with dough on top and press. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes and then serve hot.