RESTAURANT STYLE VEG BIRYANI
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into diamonds
10-12 cauliflower florets
5-6 French beans, cut into pieces
4-5 baby corn, cut into diamonds
¼ cup green peas
100 grams cottage cheese (paneer), cut into small cubes
1½ cups Daawat Super Basmati Rice, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
4 tablespoons ghee + for drizzling and brushing
1 inch cinnamon
5 green cardamoms
1 blade mace (javitri)
10-12 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
1 large onion, sliced
2 green chillies
1½ tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander-cumin powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
½ cup fresh tomato puree
2 tablespoons fresh cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
4 tablespoons fried onions
Green cardamom powder for sprinkling
1 inch ginger, cut into strips
8-10 cashewnuts, roasted
Screwpine essence (kewra) for drizzling
4 teaspoons saffron milk + for brushing
Few fresh mint leaves
Refined flour (maida) or whole wheat flour (atta) roti for covering
1. Heat ghee in a deep non-stick deep pan. Add cinnamon, green cardamoms, mace, cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf and sauté till fragrant.
2. Heat remaining ghee in another deep non-stick pan. Add caraway seeds and sauté for a minute.
3. Add Daawat Super Basmati Rice to the sautéed spices and mix well. Add 3 cups hot water.
4. Add onions to caraway seeds, mix and sauté till onions turn translucent.
5. Add salt to the rice, cover and cook till 3/4th done. Strain and set aside.
6. Break green chillies, add to onions, mix and sauté for a minute. Add ginger-garlic paste, mix well and sauté.
7. Add turmeric powder, coriander-cumin powder, chilli powder and mix well. Add tomato puree, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
8. Add carrots, cauliflower, French beans, baby corn and mix. Add salt and cream and mix well. Add coriander leaves, green peas and cottage cheese cubes, mix lightly and cook for 3-4 minutes
9. Preheat oven to 180º C.
10. Spread a layer of cooked vegetables in a handi and top with a layer of strained Daawat Super Basmati Rice. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons fried onions, cardamom powder, half the ginger strips, raisins and cashewnuts. Drizzle some screwpine essence, 2 teaspoons saffron milk, some ghee and sprinkle some mint leaves.
11. Top with a layer of remaining cooked vegetables and remaining strained Daawat Super Basmati Rice. Sprinkle some cardamom powder, remaining fried onions, remaining ginger strips and some mint leaves. Drizzle some screwpine essence and remaining saffron milk.
12. Cover the handi with roti, brush the top with some ghee and saffron milk. Place the handi in the preheated oven and cook till the top turns reddish.
13. Serve hot.