KOLKATA STYLE CHICKEN BIRYANI
1½ cups Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice
750 grams chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces on bone
2 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
4 small potatoes, boiled and peeled
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons biryani masala
2 teaspoons red chilli powder
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
3 tablespoons ghee + for drizzling
1 medium onion
11 green cardamoms
3 black cardamoms
2 bay leaves
1 inch cinnamon
1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
1½ teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon saffron milk
2 tablespoons browned onions
Few drops screwpine essence (kewra)
Few drops rose water
1. Soak Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
2. Put chicken pieces in a bowl. Add salt, biryani masala, 1 teaspoon chilli powder and gingergarlic paste. Mix well. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, mix and set aside to marinate.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a deep non-stick -pan.
4. Slice onion.
5. Add 6 green cardamoms, 2 black cardamoms, 1 bay leaf and cinnamon to the pan and sauté till fragrant. Add sliced onions, mix and sauté till lightly browned.
6. Heat 3 cups water in another non-stick pan. Add salt, remaining black cardamom, remaining green cardamoms, remaining bay leaf, cloves and 1 tablespoon ghee, mix and bring to a boil.
7. Add ginger and garlic to the onions, mix and sauté till fragrant. Add remaining turmeric powder and mix well. Add eggs and mix.
8. Halve potatoes and add, mix well and sauté till lightly browned. Transfer the eggs and potatoes in a bowl and set aside.
9. Add coriander powder and remaining chilli powder and mix. Add marinated chicken pieces, mix well, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
10. Add drained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice to the boiling water, stir lightly, cover and cook till the rice is 3/4th done.
11. Add eggs and potatoes to the masala, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
12. Strain the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in a colander and spread on the masala, eggs and potatoes.
13. Drizzle some ghee on top, add saffron milk, browned onions, screwpine essence and rose water, cover and cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
14. Serve hot.