KASHMIRI MUTTON BIRYANI
500 grams mutton, cut into 1 inch pieces on bone
1½ cups Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice
5 tablespoons ghee
1 tablespoon fennel seeds (saunf)
3 bay leaves
7 green cardamoms
1 inch cinnamon
5 green chillies
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
2 teaspoons caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
1 tablespoon fennel (saunf) powder
½ teaspoon dried ginger powder (saunth)
¼ teaspoon mace (javitri) powder
¼ cup yogurt
2 tablespoons saffron milk
Few drops rose water
Fresh mint sprig for garnishing
1. Soak Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a pressure cooker.
3. Take a piece of muslin cloth. Add fennel seeds and tie into a potli.
4. Add bay leaves, cloves, green cardamoms, cinnamon and broken green chillies to ghee and sauté for a minute.
5. Add mutton pieces and mix. Add salt, mix and sauté till mutton pieces are lightly browned.
6. Add ginger-garlic paste and mix well. Add sufficient water and stir to mix. Add potli, cover and pressure cook for 15-20 minutes.
7. Discard the potli and strain the mutton pieces. Discard bay leaves and cinnamon. Reserve the mutton stock.
8. Heat remaining ghee in a deep non-stick pan. Add caraway seeds and sauté till seeds crackle.
9. Add mutton pieces, fennel powder, ginger powder and mace powder and mix well. Add yogurt, mix and bring to a boil.
10. Add 3 cups reserved mutton stock and drained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice, cover and bring to a boil.
11. Add saffron milk and rose water, cover and cook on low heat for 10-12 minutes.
12. Garnish with mint sprig and serve hot.