EGG (Anda) BIRYANI
7 eggs (anda), hard-boiled and peeled
1½ cups Daawat Super Basmati Rice, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
4 tablespoons oil
1 black cardamom
½ inch cinnamon
1 bay leaf
12-16 black peppercorns
9 green cardamoms
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 medium potatoes, boiled and peeled
Salt to taste
Juice of ½ lemon
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons red chilli powder
1½ tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
3 green chillies
¾ cup fresh tomato puree
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 tablespoon + a pinch garam masala powder
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
¼ cup yogurt
3 tablespoons fried onions + for garnishing
Few fresh mint leaves
1 inch ginger, cut into strips
Fresh mint sprig for garnishing
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a deep non-stick pan.
2. Heat 3 cups water in another deep non-stick pan. Add black cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, 8 cloves, peppercorns and 4 green cardamoms and bring to a boil.
3. Add remaining cloves and remaining cardamoms to the oil and sauté till fragrant.
4. Add rice to the boiling water and let it cook.
5. Add onions to the oil and sauté till translucent.
6. Cut potatoes into cubes.
7. Add salt, 1 tablespoon oil and lemon juice to rice and cook till ¾th done.
8. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1½ teaspoons chilli powder to the onions and mix well. Add eggs and potato cubes and fry for a minute. Transfer eggs and potatoes in a bowl and set aside.
9. Add ginger-garlic paste and mix. Add green chillies, tomato puree and salt, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
10. Strain the Daawat Super Basmati Rice in a colander and set aside.
11. Add coriander powder, remaining chilli powder, 1 tablespoon garam masala powder and remaining turmeric powder to the tomato puree mixture, mix well and cook till the oil separates.
12. Add fried eggs (anda), potato cubes, coriander leaves, yogurt and spread a layer of strained Daawat Super Basmati Rice on top.
13. Top with fried onions, some mint leaves, a pinch garam masala powder, ginger strips and add remaining oil, cover and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
14. Garnish with fried onions and mint sprig and serve hot.