AWADHI CHICKEN BIRYANI
1½ cups Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice
750 grams chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces on bone
2 blade mace
10 green cardamoms
3 bay leaves
Salt to taste
4½ tablespoons ghee + for drizzling
1 inch cinnamon
1 medium onion, sliced
½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
3 green chillies
½ cup yogurt
1½ tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
½ teaspoon green cardamom powder
½ teaspoon mace (javitri) powder
Few saffron strands
½ teaspoon rose water
½ teaspoon screwpine essence (kewra)
Whole wheat flour (atta) dough as required
2 tablespoons fried onions
Few fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons fresh cream
1 tablespoon saffron milk
Fresh mint sprig for garnishing
1. Soak Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat 3 cups water in a deep non-stick pan. Add mace, 6 green cardamoms, 2 bay leaves, drained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice, salt and 1½ tablespoons ghee. Stir lightly, cover and cook till 3/4th done.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons ghee in another deep non-stick pan. Add remaining green cardamoms, cinnamon, remaining bay leaf, cloves, onion and cumin seeds, mix and sauté till onions are lightly browned.
4. Put chicken pieces in a bowl.
5. Slit green chillies, add to the bowl alongwith yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, salt, ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder, ¼ teaspoon mace powder, saffron, ¼ teaspoon rose water and ¼ teaspoon screwpine essence and mix well. Set aside to marinate.
6. Roll out wheat flour dough into a cylinder and place on a lid.
7. Strain the Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice in a colander. Set aside.
8. Add marinated chicken to the onions, spread the strained Daawat Biryani Basmati Rice on top and add fried onions and mint leaves. Drizzle cream, saffron milk, some ghee, remaining rose water, remaining screwpine essence, remaining cardamom powder and remaining mace powder, place lid with dough on top and press. Cook on low heat for 25-30 minutes.
9. Garnish with mint sprig and serve hot.